The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced) is a state-led consortium working to develop next generation assessments that accurately measure student progress toward college and career readiness. Smarter Balanced is one of two multi-state consortia awarded funding from the U.S. Department of Education in 2010 to develop an assessment system aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) by the 2014-15 school year.
The work of Smarter Balanced is guided by the belief that a high-quality assessment system can provide information and tools for teachers and schools to improve instruction and help students succeed – regardless of disability, language or subgroup. Smarter Balanced involves experienced educators, researchers, state and local policymakers and community groups working together in a transparent and consensus-driven process.
Online Smarter Balanced Practice Tests
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced) has placed online for public access a set of practice tests for grades three through eight and grade eleven. Practice tests are available in both English-language arts and mathematics for each grade. The practice tests are available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced Practice Tests Web page and include test questions with the same features that students will experience in 2014–15. Online access to the practice tests will not require a unique username and password, so schools and districts can use them for teacher training as well as discussions with parents, policymakers, and other interested stakeholders. Members of the public may also access the tests. There will be no immediate scoring of the tests, but scoring keys will be made available later in the year.
1) Sesame Street: Janelle Monae – Power of Yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLeUvZvuvAs
2) ClassDojo Series, including a downloadable discussion guide https://www.classdojo.com/bigideas/
Chapter 1 – A Secret About the Brain
Chapter 2 – The Magic of Mistakes
Chapter 3 – The Power of “Yet”
Chapter 4 – The World of Neurons
Chapter 5 – Mojo Puts It All Together
Chapter 1 – Katie Discovers the Dip
Chapter 2 – Climbing Out of the Dip
Chapter 3 – The Big Show
3) Khan Academy: John Legend – Success Through Effort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtcigWSBsw
4) TEDx Stanford: Jo Boaler – How You Can Be Good at Math and Other Surprising Facts About Learning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icoSeGqQtY
Standford Math Summer Camp Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTUb6UWZYs
5) YouCubed: Jo Boaler – Four Boosting Math Messages from Jo and Her Students https://www.youcubed.org/four-boosting-math-messages-from-jo-and-her-students/
6) Jo Boaler – Positive Classroom Norms http://www.youcubed.org/wp-content/uploads/Positive-Classroom-Norms2.pdf